Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Give Picasso the Glory

"Often while reading a book one feels that the author would have preferred to paint rather than write; one can sense the pleaure he derives from describing a landscape or a person, as if he were painting what he is saying, because deep in his heart he would have preferred to use brushes and colors."

Picasso said that. Kind of agree. Just finished work; have tomorrow off. But can't take tomorrow off, have to work. After August, things won't be so hectic.

Have you ever noticed a can of tictacs on your table (wouldn't it be cool if tictacs came in a can, but I mean a little container-thingy of tictacs, that plastic kine) and been bothered by it? I bought tictacs at Walmart a month ago and B told me they made your breath smell worse so I shouldn't eat them. B and I haven't seen each other much lately, except at night in bed when he's usually already asleep, and last night, when I got home around 9:45, I noticed the tictacs on the table instead of on the shelf where they'd been more or less forgotten about for three and a half weeks. That bothered me. B doesn't like tictacs or mints or gum. So why are they here instead of there? And what change happened while I was away?

Dammit.

I still haven't finished a sale on my own. Shared one. The month is a third over and there's no way i'm making commission. Some days I think that I am doing fine, biding my time patiently while I get the hang of the business and the information and studying how to sell. Soon enough I'll be a star. But other days, I just want to stay outside and smoke, even though I never finish a cig because I feel nervous to go back inside and try to sell. It's crazy. I don't know. The artist came by today. He owns the whole company but doesn't deal directly with the staff, obviously. He walked into the back room where my coworker had been showing some paintings to a family who spent $4.5 Gs today. She had left paintings strewn across the floor and the couches. I knew Lassen didn't like his work on the floor so I had piled them all on the couch. Anyway, he goes back there and calls the GM on Maui to tell him he's unhappy with the state of affairs with us in Waikiki. Three minutes later, the GM on Maui calls us to tell us what Lassen saw and wants. The thing is, Lassen is standing right in front of us in the gallery while we're on the phone with GM in Maui. Why didn't he tell us himself? I'm not quite sure. But it must be a good thing that we have nothing to do with the artist. Perhaps a bit less dramatic. Also made me feel a bit stupid, though, and uncared for by the owner of the company. Not that that's his job, but still, I appreciate a company where all levels are at least amicable.

Whatev. I must go do laundry. Bloodied my sheets last night. Ha.

No comments: